Friday, June 17, 2011

Goose Island IPA

Today's is from Chicago, and one of my last American beers for the next while. It comes in a 12 ounce (355mL) brown bottle, with a green label. No alcohol content is given. The bottle looks slightly taller than the industry standard bottle.

When first opened, the hop aroma was a bit overpowering. It seems to be using a type of hops that I'm not familiar with, and am slightly intrigued by. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it was fruity. When poured, a large healthy head formed, and only a few large bubbles rose through the golden beer. The beer was a bit cloudy; perhaps there was sediment? (update: The cloudiness is due to unfiltered dry hopping) The hop aroma was still noticeable, and was urging me on.

The first sip was pretty good. The beer had a smooth feel in the mouth. The flavour was very hoppy and bitter. Probably one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had. I liked. As I drank, the head left behind a beautiful lace on my glass. I could not detect any malt flavour in the beer at all. I'll definitely look for this beer again when I'm in the mood for a hopped-up beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment