Sunday, October 23, 2011

Paulaner Oktoberfest

It's the official beer of Oktoberfest!  Arriving at my beer fridge in a whopping 1L can, it has 6.0% alcohol/vol.  It also came with an accompanying dimpled stein (with enough extra room at the top to contain the inevitable head).  The art on the can is neat, with 11 rotundous women carrying ridiculous quantities of beer steins.

When I opened the can, I was a bit surprised by how little malt there was in the aroma.  Significantly more hops than I expected.  It poured a golden colour, much lighter than the Sam Adams Oktoberfest I recently had.  A huge brothy head formed which filled the extra 1.5 inches in the stein.  The head didn't last for very long though.  There were a good amount of large bubbles.  After the pour, I could much easier detect the malts that Oktoberfest beers are renown for.

The first sip was pretty straight forward.  Nothing overpowering.  The beer had a relatively benign malty flavour, with no noticeable bitterness.  There was a slight caramel aftertaste.  The beer was very smooth in the mouth, with only a slight "bite" when swallowed.  I find it strange that I preferred the Sam Adams over the Paulaner, but there you go.  I think most of the novelty of this beer is the fact that it comes in a 1L can.

No comments:

Post a Comment