Monday, February 13, 2012

Ayinger Oktoberfest-Märzen

Ever since I tried Sam Adams' Oktoberfest, I've been wanting to try a different brewer's to see what they have in common and how they differ.  I'm excited to try today's beer, since Ayinger is brewery well-known for its lagers (especially its doppelbock).  It comes in a 500mL brown bottle with an unknown alcohol content.  Some days, I hate US beer labelling laws. :(

When opened, I was greeted with a nose full of sweet malt.  It reminded me more of Fort Garry's eisbock than Sam Adams' Oktoberfest.  It poured a dark amber colour, with just a slight cloudiness.  There was a thin white head that disappeared quickly.  Lots of microscopic bubbles.  The aroma was fairly unchanged from when I opened the bottle.

The first sip was delicous.  The beer was incredibly malty, and slightly sweet.  It tasted almost like toffee, and a hint of honey.  There was almost no hops to it.  The feel in the mouth was incredibly soft despite the carbonation.  If I ever manage to find this beer again, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment