Saturday, May 30, 2015

Kettle Moraine 100 preamble

We're a week out from the Kettle Moraine 100 miler in Wisconsin.  My legs are more than recovered from a rocky/rooty/muddy Superior 50k.  Physically, I'm as ready as I'll ever be.  Mentally is a different story.

I've got an axe to grind with KM100.  I dropped from the race last year for no particularly good reason at the 100k mark, and earned my "belt buckle of shame".  Maybe saying there was no good reason is not quite accurate, since I forgot my race vest at home and had to rely on the one handheld water bottle I had brought, along with another I managed to borrow off a really awesome ultrarunner from Mankato called Tom Weigt (Hi Tom!).  I wasn't able to carry any food with me, relying solely on the aid stations and what I could carry in my hands.  So maybe I was a bit calorie-deficient by the time I dropped.  I'll never really know.

But in any case, that's the past.  I can only look forward to the next race, to the next aid station, and to the next step I need to take.  I've been watching the weather forecast for Whitewater Wisconsin like a hawk, and it's been all over the place.  Yesterday, they were calling for highs in the 30s and thunderstorms!  Today, the forecast has cooled off quite a bit to something manageable.  But one thing is constant:  The trails are going to be very soft with a lot of rain falling before (and possibly during) the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment